Thank you for being part of the NBOA online community! To ensure the best possible experience for all, we have established some basic guidelines for participation. Please take a few moments to read through them. If this is your first time signing into the NBOA website, please agree to the terms below. You will not be asked to take this step again.
One of the many benefits of NBOA membership is the ability to connect with other members online through NBOA.org and sharing questions, tools, and resources. We encourage all members to participate in NBOA Connect, our online discussion community, and connect with NBOA through social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and Pinterest. The NBOA website and these platforms are great tools to get the advice of your peers, learn from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions about the online community or social media, please email email@example.com. However, general questions about NBOA should be directed to the NBOA membership department at firstname.lastname@example.org. For assistance accessing NBOA's library resources, contact our research department at email@example.com.
In order to preserve a climate that encourages fair use of resources and both civil and fruitful dialogue, NBOA reserves the right to delete posts, or suspend or terminate membership in this community, for anyone who violate these rules.
- Keep it clean and keep it friendly. Don't challenge or attack others. The discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Every post should make a positive contribution. Mature polite debate is encouraged. Attacks or cyber-bullying will not be tolerated. The discussion groups and social media channels are meant to stimulate conversation and trigger the exchange of best practices. Contradictory opinions should be thoughtful and respectful.
- Don't post commercial messages on any discussion list, resource library entry, social media channel, or other area where others might see it. Respect the community’s purpose by not using it as a marketing channel or submitting any content related to promotional offers, messaging or sales materials. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.
- Remember that other participants have the right to reproduce postings to this site unless you specify otherwise.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate discussions, libraries or social media channels. Do not spam several discussions or libraries with the same message.
- Use the right channels for complaints. The NBOA communities are not the appropriate platforms to resolve personal issues or engage in disputes. Posts of this nature will be removed.
- Help look after your community. There is a permanent record of your posts. If you notice content within the community that does not abide by these guidelines, please report it to our Community Manager.
All messages must add to the body of knowledge. We reserve the right to reject any message for any reason.
- Transparency is very important in gaining trust in online relationships, therefore be clear who you are and who you work for when posting on any NBOA platform. This includes using your real name, affiliation and location in your signature tag on all messages, and a profile picture of your likeness wherever possible.
- Decide which platform is best for your message. Just sharing a link? Twitter may be best. Sharing an article with your comments? The NBOA discussion groups or Facebook may be better. Want to start conversation around a topic? That may be best served by discussion groups or LinkedIn. To learn more about these tools, please contact the NBOA social media staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Make your subject line concise, accurate and specific. State clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject. Remember your readers and try to follow standard email etiquette.
- Stay on topic. Good contributions help the entire community by providing relevant, insightful information or asking important questions. If your post contains anything unrelated to the topic, it may be removed.
- When replying, include only the relevant portions of the original message. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire group when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire group. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link to the right of every message.
- Do not post administrative messages, such as "remove me from this discussion". Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing e-mail addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new e-mail address. Simply change your settings.
The NBOA website, and social media pages, accounts and sites are provided as a service of NBOA. NBOA is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on these sites by others. NBOA disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on these sites, whether posted by NBOA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. NBOA staff use their best efforts in responding to questions and providing resources, however, NBOA makes no representations or warranties with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the content. NBOA staff does not render legal, accounting, or similar services and members are encouraged to seek legal advice or expert counsel as needed. In no event shall NBOA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants NBOA and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material. Individuals who post articles, sample documents, and other resources understand that NBOA may reuse or repurpose documents in the NBOA library or in other NBOA resources.
Content should not be posted if it encourages or facilitates members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's organization or business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; benefits, profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
NBOA does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of NBOA we will take all appropriate action. NBOA reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
NBOA documents and library have specific conditions of use. The following information applies to your use of documents, library, webinars, and other resources made available to you through the NBOA website and social platforms (collectively referred to as "NBOA resources").
NBOA resources are intended to stimulate thought and discussion, and to provide useful ideas and guidance in the areas of independent school finance and operations. NBOA resources do not constitute, and should not be treated as, legal advice. Although NBOA has made every effort to ensure the accuracy of its resourcess, neither the author nor NBOA assumes any responsibility for any individual’s reliance on the information presented, which is necessarily limited in scope and detail.
NBOA cannot and does not provide legal, financial or tax advice and NBOA information and materials are for informational purposes only and should not be deemed as financial, legal or tax advice. Tax and other laws and regulations are subject to change at any time. Please see guidance specific to your organization and consult qualified advisors, such as an attorney or subject-matter expert, in your jurisdiction before finalizing any tax, fiduciary or other compliance.